The name can be somewhat misleading as it often leads people to think of pancakes, but Johnny cakes are actually more closely related to American biscuits. Johnny cakes are small rolls of leavened dough that are lightly baked in an oven until golden and served for breakfast with a topping of refried beans, meat, and/or cheese.
Belizean Johnny cakes are the local variety of a common Caribbean bread recipe that is easy to make and served up at restaurants throughout the country. Johnny cakes are sometimes eaten plain hot out of the oven or, more commonly, used as a base for toppings like eggs, onions, beans, butter, and/or meat.
Why You Have to Taste Belizean Johnny Cakes On Your Vacation
This tasty bread is one of the most ubiquitous and popular dishes served in Belize. Commonplace on every Belizean’s breakfast table, Johnny cakes are, in effect, the local version of pancakes or toast, served alongside other dishes or topped with meat, cheese, and/or beans.
Where in Belize Can You Find Belizean Johnny Cakes?
These popular treats are available just about anywhere, but usually the tastiest Johnny cakes are served up in small “mom and pop” type restaurants.
When Is the Best Time to Try Johnny Cakes?
Johnny cakes are traditionally a breakfast food although they can be savored at any time of the day.
Best Way to Eat Belizean Johnny Cakes
Belizeans love to enjoy Johnny cakes cut in half and topped with refried beans, meat, cheese, butter, or scrambled eggs but they pair well with just about any dish.
How to Make Belizean Johnny Cakes
Nothing is as tasty as a fresh made Johnny Cake in Belize, but here’s a recipe that you can make at home to enjoy these tasty treats:
• 4 cups of all-purpose flour
• 1 cup coconut milk
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup of sugar
• 8 tablespoons of butter (softened and cut into small pieces)
1. Mix together the flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder in a bowl.
2. Slowly cut in the butter.
3. Stir in coconut milk while kneading mixture to form a smooth ball that can be cleanly removed from the bowl.
4. Divide dough into golf ball-sized pieces.
5. Place golf balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
6. Allow to rest uncovered for 10 minutes and then slightly flatten balls with the palm of your hand.
7. Use a fork to prick small holes in golf balls.
8. Bake for 10-15 minutes in a 400F degree oven.
9. Johnny cakes are ready when lightly brown on top.
10. Serve while hot/warm.